A Letter For My Old Friends

Emilianus Yakob Sese Tolo

Dear Brothers,

How was your life so far in Philippine? I do hope that all of you are happy living there. I know that all of you are happy. I heard from our brothers in Maumere that all of you are getting fatter even PIUS, PETER and Kosmas as well. Hopefully, your motivation to be a Scalabrinian Missionary is also “getting fatter” compared when you were still in Maumere. But, by the way, this shows both to me and to the world that you are happy with the path that you have chosen. It is good. Carry on!

I think that you are also curios regarding my life in Indonesia so far. I am also happy to be here as a lay people. I think my life is totally different with yours. It is not because of a different culture and way that you are living out now, but also different vocation that we are searching for. I know that all of you really want to dedicate your self to be a missionary in the future serving the migrants and sharing your life with them. I am really proud of your dedication, and I know that you will receive abundant grace of God after your mission ends. I am jealous with your unfading motivation and I couldn’t. I have failed, but I do not want to be fail for the second time. I will serve closest migrants that I am living with. Maybe, they are my neighbor, my friends, “my wife and my children”. You will be pure missionary and I will be a fake missionary. Hahahahaha…But our end is still the same that is God, our Lord.

I remember our farewell chatting by mobile phone. I was in Ruteng staying at Biara Scalabrinian for my field work research at that time. I was so sad. But conversely, Rofinus Tau was so happy. I was sad because I have failed in the process of going to the next level of Scalbrinian formation and also my beloved friends will be separated with me for along time or it might be forever. However Rofinus Tau was so happy. I did not know that he was happy because…... Maybe, he was looking forward with his first flight. Or he was happy because his end to be a missionary was getting closer. I have not knwn for sure up to now. It is still a mystery for me. But, I do believe in God that Rofinus’ happiness was caused by his unfading ambition to be a missionary.

I will share with you regarding my life in Indonesia so far. After finishing my bachelor degree, I was asked to be a researcher with UGM research office. I directly accepted. My first research locus was in Manggarai district. Approximately, I was staying for a month in Manggarai. In this first research, I visited some villages in Manggarai including Colol-Racang. In Colol, I was staying at Rofinus Sumanto’s house. The family of Rofinus was very nice to me. They treated me like Rofinus. They said that I already make them happy because they were still missing on Rofinus. Bapa Ego accompanied me during the interview with the local leaders. The father of Sumanto was trying hard to speak Bahasa Indonesia. And finally, he did well. The first brother of Rofinus was talking so much about politic because he wants to compete in the upcoming representative election of Manggarai Timur. I do not know whether he was successful in the election that has just passed.

When I finished my research in Colol for 3 days, I went back to Ruteng. Rofinus’ family asked me to stay longer. But, I said that I am on my duty now, and I must finish it at once (on time).

Before going to Ruteng, Manto’s Daddy hugged me as if I am Rofinus. Then, the family of Rofinus asked me to bring with coffee for my family in Boawae as a souvenir. But, I refused because I have to be in Manggarai longer. The sister of Rofinus gave me money while saying this is for buying “candy”. Honestly, I was so happy. And I went back to Ruteng with Rofinus’ first brother by his motorbike. Thanks so much Rofinus! I have decided to visit your family again someday when I have been successful in my career. I do hope that you are happy when reading this letter. Believe at me that your family is healthy and they are so proud of you. They were talking a lot about you when I was in Racang. Your brothers, sisters and your parent were really proud of you. I know that they will be so sad if you can not be a priest later. Be strong! Be faithful my friend! The good sprit of Emil be poured out on you. He….he…he… Rofinus, honestly speaking, I had a good time with them.

When being in Manggarai, I also met with the sister of Heri Mangkur and Koni. They invited me to go their house. However, I got very busy. Therefore, I could not fulfill their invitation. Koni….your sister has a boyfriend. I met with your kesa. And he said that your sister is clever like her bother Koni. Koni… you eja is look like you. If your eja is going for a walk with you, people will think that you are twin with your eja.

Mngkur, I met with your sister when I attended the Sunday mass at St. Klaus church. I was staying at Aleks Jana’s house at that time. Your sister is more beautiful now. Maybe she will marry at once. You have to come to Nterlango to receive the dowry otherwise I will receive it on behalf of you. Could I change your position? Hery, I am sorry for not visiting your family. But I think that they are happier than you in Philippine.

For Icen, I am sorry. I did not meet with your family. But I think that they are happy with you because you are getting more handsome now. You must be like “bule” now. Be strong my friend! I know that you will face many challenges with your nice skin. Hahahahahahah… I am afraid if you will be like “bule” lying down under the strong sun so as to get tan skin. He..he..he..

Lerek, I also met with your brother Willy. He talked a lot about you. He is getting fatter now. He has a cute son. The face of your brother’s son is look like you. But, his skin is totally different with you. He is so fair. But, you are so black. Maybe you are getting lighter now because of Philippines weather. I am not so sure. He…he…he..

After finishing my research in Manggarai, I went to Bali and Lombok for the meeting and our new research project in Maluku. Most of the transports for the research project were by plane. I was so happy. If Rofinus Tau was me, he would be so happy. He…he..he… I went to Maluku as both a researcher and Interpreter of a visiting UGM professor from Norway. I was around 1 week in Maluku. In Maluku, I visited Ambon and Seram island. In Seram I met with our friend Trinol Asa doing his pastoral year in Masohi-Seram. He was surprised of seeing me coming to his parish. I had a very good time in Seram and Ambon. Many of ambonese girls were beautiful. If Kosmas was there at that time, I do not know what he will do with the girls. Maybe he will kick away his girl in Nangalimang (Shanti Jelek..Tapi sifatnya baik) and get close with these beautiful ambonese girls. I know well about Kosmas attitude in the case of approaching beautiful girls.

After finishing the field work in Maluku, I was invited to go to Jogya and worke there for more less 3 months. I was working at a center of cooperation between UGM University and Agder University-Norway office. I was very happy to be here. I experienced new life and environment that are totally different with Flores. Besides, In Jogya, I met with many beautiful UGM students. Most of Javanese girls are good looking. I think that if Rofinus Tas was in my position, he would be really over acting alias “umet” with the beautiful girls. He…he…he… I am sorry Tau, I really like to kid with you because you are a best friend ever I kidded with. Hopefully, you can understand English better now compared 2 years a go when you are really poor in understanding English. I do believe that your English is better now. You might be better in speaking and writing English than me. But, I hope that you are not so arrogant on me because your English is better then me now. Tau….you have good English now not because of your efforts and capability, but because of situation and condition that you are living out with now. You are in English country and English community. I can speak English because of my efforts. Am I right, Mr. Rofinus Tau? He…he..he.. Hopefully, your English is very good now, and your Manggaraian is getting worse. I am afraid if your Manggaraian is getting better because you have converted community language to Bahasa Manggarai. He…he…he…

My dear friends…. I am taking my degree master in UGM on Public Administration now. I am really enjoying my life now being in the big campus floating with various beautiful girls….It is so nice Rofinus Tau. However, I should take into account that all of my achievements that I have got now is because of both Scalabrinian and all of you my friends. I do hope that we could see each other someday. I could study in UGM because I got a scholarship from Norwegian government. Hopefully, I will get scholarship for my doctorate degree. Rofinus Tau…..Do not be jealous at me! Hahahahahah…Tau..I still remembered when you gave me money 50.000 before I left Biara Scalabrinian. I also remember Pius gave me 40.000 and Sumanto gave 50.000. I could not forget all of your kinds because you were with me when I wan sad….Thanks so much! From our batch, I still Pius was crying when I left home…Hahahahahahah…But Peter was laughing when I was kicked out from the seminary….hahahahahah It is just a kidding Peter. Cosmas you were my soul mate (satu kaki e..) when I was in seminary. But you did not fulfill your promise to send me Pulsa before flying to Jakarta … Koni…You have made different colors on my life. Thanks so much for your jokes. Heri…Thanks for your support on me…Koni and Manggkur, I already delegated my priesthood to you on behalf of St. Klaus. Regards from many of our friends! Most of them are on the Facebook. Atan..your perseverance and faithfulness have inspired me for giving meaning on my life….

Brothers………..
I ask your pray so as to be good and to be holy as well. I am already very tire of typing….I do hope that all of you could read this letter and if you have time, you could reply it. I am looking forward to hear something about your life in Philiphine… Let’s us pray each other…

Rofinus.... I am waiting for your answer. If you do not mind Tau, correcting my English please so that I could improve my English day by day. In short, I miss U all . But before ending my letter, I would like to say Marry Christmas 2009 and Happy New Year 2010!

NB:
If you want to read the news about our “WISUDA” (Rotan terjemah dulu ko…Graduation day ko?), you just type Gregorius Adelbertus Danggur on Google (cum laude) and then click search …Pasti u bisa lihat…..But, I could not attended the celebration because I was in Jogya being busy with my lectures.

If Sumanto want to read “cerpen” when I was in the seminarai-Maumere, U just type lyms sese (malam itu) in the google and the klick search…..

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Sumbangan Filsafat Falsifikasi Karl Raimund Popper Bagi Terciptanya Kepemimpinan Yang Demokratis di Indonesia

Mengais Jejak IDT

Mengais Peran Kitab Suci dalam Keluarga Katolik